One thing that happened the day of Barbs wreck was a "thank you for protecting me" moment. Thank you to God and to the trauma surgeon (who may think he is God). While at the local ER, the trauma surgeon explained that she needed to go to San Antonio for her hip. I understood her to be stable. He said she would take a helicopter to get there. In my mind helicopter transport is way overused-at least in pediatrics. It is very expensive, and actually very dangerous. I asked if she could take an ambulance, but he calmly said no. No telling what he thought about my request. In CC her abdominal ultrasound was normal-no evidence of bleeding. However by the time of arrival at BAMC she was bleeding and had lowered her H and H to 5 and 15-even after getting a transfusion before transfer.
If she had gone via ambulance, she would have come back in a black Cadillac.
Oh, and I did not hurry up there to BAMC. Looking back I should have.
No comments:
Post a Comment