Although I self identify as a runner, I am an "old" runner. Not as in years running, but as in miles run. I am somewhere just south of 70,000 (ok 69,060) miles on the legs. They do not have the bounce. My weight makes their bounce even less. Anyway I don't improve when I run now. It takes lots of hard work just to tread water. Anyway a sore achilles tendon has told me to back off and after only one run this month, I have taken to the bike trainer this winter.
I have had 10 rides this month so far. I have progressed very nicely from just under 15 miles in an hour to over 17 miles an hour. It is nice to see some progress. And to be able to push myself. I usually warm up at an easy gear and gear up. The trainer is a cyclops 2 fluid trainer that Barb and I have had for a number (5 or 6 maybe?) years and is a progressive resistance machine. As the speed increases, so does the pain and resistance. It is quiet so I can listen to music. Also I have a cateye wireless computer that works on the spinning back wheel and measures cadence and speed. No power meter for me, but its not hard to figure when I am working hard.
It is nice to see progress. Although the bathroom wall mirrors (where our bike trainer is) show the innertube around my waist. Hopefully that inner tube will go flat with time. And biking.
Course getting 1000 or 1500 miles running this year looks to be a little difficult.
No comments:
Post a Comment